The Mayor's Youth Advisory Committee (MYAC) is a leadership opportunity where we teach you all about your community and give you opportunities to contribute and give feedback to Gilbert. Participants are asked to volunteer in a variety of capacities as well as assist the Town Council in identifying and finding solutions to complex topics impacting all our residents.
Applications for the 2020-2021 Mayor's Youth Advisory Committee (MYAC) are now open through June 19th.
- To be eligible for MYAC, youth must live in Gilbert or attend a school in Gilbert and be in 9th-12th grade (14-18 years old).
- Each member must make a minimum nine month commitment to the program (September to May).
- Attendance is mandatory at the meetings and only one excused absence is permitted. If you have multiple absences and/or do not actively participate in the program, you may be removed from the Mayor’s Youth Advisory Committee.
- Each member must attend at least one council meeting and one board or commission meeting during the program.
- MYAC is committed to community service. Each student must complete at least 10 hours of community service benefiting Gilbert residents per school year. If you do not complete your community service, you will not be eligible to graduate. Opportunities for community service will also be made available through the program.
- Members are expected to participate in Student Government Days at Gilbert Town Hall.
- The Committee may also be asked to assist the Mayor with various assignments, attend meetings or participate in a focus group on various topics. Participation in these events is voluntary.
The meetings will focus on enhancing leadership skills, knowledge of local government as well as addressing the theme for each year. We ask that each student make a commitment to attend and participate. Date(s) and time(s) are listed below:
The 2020-2021 Calendar is currently being updated and will be posted soon.
Please contact Valerie Shaffer at email@example.com.