Water Budgets for Large Landscapes
Water costs for turfgrass and landscape irrigation can be a large budget component for homeowner associations, multifamily complexes, churches, schools, and businesses. Your organization may realize significant cost savings by developing a water budget to manage landscape irrigation. The Water Wise Gilbert program can help.
In 2017, 120 participants worked with Gilbert Water Conservation and saved over 200 million gallons of water, which equates to $370,000 in avoided water costs for these sites.
Not all program participants earn the Water Wise Gilbert distinction. To be labeled Water Wise Gilbert, a site must be within 20% of their annual landscape water budget. This is a major accomplishment.
A sample water budget graph shows when water usage exceeds the recommended amount for that particular landscape (red) and when usage is in line with projected water needs of the landscape (green).
- Gilbert Water Conservation can determine the amount of water that should be applied to a landscape, based on its square footage of turfgrass and desert landscape planted area.
- Updates are then provided each month, comparing projected water use with actual water use.
- This tool allows board members, property management companies, and landscape contractors to communicate more effectively and share a common goal.
A Water Conservation Specialist assigned to your organization communicates monthly with your chosen representatives. Interested in participating? Contact Jeff Lee, Water Conservation Specialist, at (480) 503-6878.
Representatives from the Water Conservation office can speak at homeowner association meetings or to groups of residents. They can provide guidelines on ways to save money on water costs and streamline your landscape maintenance budget.
Contact the Gilbert Water Conservation office at (480) 503-6098 to talk to a Water Conservation Specialist.Important Links
- Landscape Maintenance Considerations for HOAs - from the University of Arizona Cooperative Extension
- Selecting, Planting, and Maintaining Trees - from the University of Arizona Cooperative Extension
- When and How to Prune Trees - from the University of Arizona Cooperative Extension
- When and How to Prune Shrubs - from the University of Arizona Cooperative Extension
- Search for a Certified Arborist online at the International Society of Arboriculture