En Espanol: Iniciativa, referendum and retiros
Applications, blank petitions and all associated documentation for an Initiatives, Referendum or Recall is available upon request from the Town Clerk’s Office. Interested parties need to schedule an appointment with Lisa Maxwell, Town Clerk, if they are interested in receiving copies of this documentation. Individuals are encouraged to review all election materials and laws with their individual attorneys to ensure compliance with current legal requirements. While the Town Clerk’s Office will assist with procedural questions related to election filings, Town Clerk's Office staff cannot render legal, financial or other professional advice.
The Secretary of State produces an Initiative and Referendum Guide which contains useful information on the process of filing an initiative or referendum. At this time there is not a current guide on recalls.
Signature Requirements for the 2020 Election Cycle
- Initiative – 21,922 15% of the registered voters (146,141) at the November 6, 2018 election
- Referendum – 9,931 10% of the ballots cast (99,306) at the last municipal election where Mayor or Council were chosen (August 28, 2018 election)
- Recall – Mayor – 6,765 25% of votes cast for all candidates for the office (14,263) at the last election where that office was on the ballot (August 30, 2018 based on Morrissey v. Garner, et. al. Gila County Superior Court, October 2019)
- Recall – Council - 14,972 25% of votes cast for all candidates for the office (119,769) divided by the number of seats (2) at the last preceding general election where that office was on the ballot (November 8, 2016)
Petitions must be filed in accordance with the Arizona Constitution and Arizona Revised Statutes.
- Initiative – Petitions cannot be circulated for signatures more than twenty-four (24) months preceding the election at which the measure is proposed to be voted on and petitions must be filed no later than four (4) months preceding the election at which the measure is proposed to be voted on.
- Referendum – Petitions must be filed within thirty (30) days after passage of the ordinance, resolution or franchise.
- Recall – Petitions must be filed no later than 120 days from the date of submission of the application for recall petition.
Consolidated election dates in 2020:
- March 10, 2020
- May 19, 2020
- August 4, 2020
- November 3, 2020