The Human Relations Commission was dissolved on February 25, 2017.
Human relations are the ways we interrelate, by respecting one another, valuing strengths and differences. The Gilbert Town Council has established the human relations commission to advise the council on these values.
The Human Relations Commission will serve in an advisory role to the Council on human relations and diversity- related issues; will champion policies, programs, services, events, which affect human relations and cultural diversity; communicate accurate and respectful information in order to educate the community on the Town's rich cultural heritage, and promote equality and unity.
The commission shall have the following powers and duties:
- Serve in an advisory role to the council on human relations and diversity-related issues;
- Serve as a resource and an advocate on behalf of the community on human relations and cultural diversity issues;
- Review, suggest and champion policies, programs, services, and events, which affect human relations and cultural diversity; by consciously and consistently seeking to serve all residents;
- Build purposeful relationships with residents, the outlying community, council, town leadership and a wide range of local, state, national and international groups, agencies and organizations to respect diversity and promote unity in the town;
- Communicate accurate and respectful information in order to educate the community of the town's rich cultural heritage and diversity;
- Provide support/vision to the staff to promote the cultural initiatives and events as identified by the commission and approved by the council;
- Identify opportunities to increase the awareness of cultural diversity between citizens by establishing ongoing dialogue and interaction to promote respect for diversity among all citizens within the town;
- Identify and collaborate with groups and organizations that can provide cultural activities and enrichment to the town;
- Respond to community human relations and cultural diversity issues in a timely manner and with sensitivity and compassion;
- Remain informed, open and responsive to opportunities that promote inclusion, equality, and unity within the town's strategic plan through council, town leadership and other commissions;
- Encourage private funding for human relations efforts; and
- Perform other duties as may be directed by the council from time to time.