Gilbert's Water Conservation Programs Saves 254 Million Gallons in 2019
Gilbert, Ariz. – In 2019, Gilbert residents, staff, HOAs, businesses, and churches saved 254 million gallons of water through the town's free water conservation programs. That savings helps Gilbert keep water rates low and ensures a reliable water source for the future.
How much water 254 million gallons?
- 5,292 Gilbert Water Towers
- 385 Olympic-size swimming pools
- 5 days worth of Gilbert’s entire water demand
Let’s take a look at the year in review:
- 25 million gallons saved by Gilbert residents. There were 506 households that took advantage of Gilbert's free Water Efficiency Checkup. A checkup saves residents an average of 50,000 gallons of water a year.
- 66 million gallons saved by Gilbert staff and contractors who manage landscape irrigation at parks, street medians, and Gilbert facilities. They achieved this by making monthly irrigation adjustments to reflect plant water needs, promptly fixing leaks, and utilizing water efficient technology at municipal sites.
- 85 million gallons saved by 93 Homeowners Associations and apartment complexes that monitor their landscape irrigation and aim to water as close to their customized water budget.
- 37 million gallons saved by 139 businesses, churches and schools who receive leak alerts, assistance monitoring landscape irrigation, and installation of smart irrigation technology at their sites.
- 41 million gallons saved by new commercial and residential developments through the appropriate use of grass areas, the installation of water efficient technology, and desert-adapted landscaping.
- 3,237 students and 447 adults served by Gilbert’s free education programs for elementary schools and adults including the 10th Annual Gilbert Water Festival and the town's residential landscape water workshops.
Thanks for your hard work saving water in 2019. Stay tuned to see who made the Water Wise Gilbert list.