Tips for Eliminating Mosquito Breeding Grounds
Gilbert, Ariz. – Now that monsoon season has arrived, mosquito prevention and repellent are crucial. Rainy weather tends to bring an influx of mosquitoes and standing water – even just a small amount – serves as a breeding ground.
Gilbert maintains the treatment of mosquitoes in municipal areas, but is asking for resident assistance in keeping the bugs at bay in local neighborhoods.
Residents can report mosquito issues in a neighborhood's common areas to the Home Owners Association or by calling the Maricopa County Vector Control's complaint hotline at (602) 506-6616.
Tips for Eliminating Mosquito Breeding Grounds:
• Empty standing water from containers after it rains
• Adjust sprinkler timers to allow time for grass to completely dry out
• Check and eliminate places that water accumulates after irrigating
• Keep fountains operating or drain the water
• Keep swimming pools treated and circulating
• Repair leaky pipes, outside faucets and sprinklers
• Check air conditioning drain hoses to ensure water is not pooling
• Replace your outdoor lights with yellow 'bug lights'
• Fill in low spots and level areas within retention basins
• Repair and properly maintain dry wells that exist on your property
For more information on mosquito prevention and control in Gilbert, head to gilbertaz.gov/mosquito-control.