Gilbert News Brief: Week of August 13th
Hey Gilbert! Here are the top news and events you need to know for the week of August 13th:
- Celebrate City Hall Selfie Day with us by stopping by Gilbert Town Hall this Wednesday, August 15th to take a selfie! Share it on social media using #CityHallSelfie and tag Gilbert in your post. Afterward, stop by the front desk and we’ll give you an “I Heart Gilbert” t-shirt for participating!
- Did you know that August is Drowning Impact Awareness Month? Since January 1, 2018, Gilbert has had seven water-related incidents, resulting in one pediatric fatality and one adult fatality. Maricopa County has had a total of 83 water-related incidents with nine pediatric fatalities. Show your commitment to water safety by wearing a purple ribbon or the color purple throughout the month. Please be safe and remember to always practice the ABC’s of water safety: Adult supervision/Awareness, Barriers, and Classes (CPR and swim).
- Have questions about Gilbert’s proposed utility rate changes? Join us at the University Building for our open house workshop on Monday, August 20th from 4 to 5:30 PM for non-residential customers and 6 to 7:30 PM for residential customers. Learn more at gilbertaz.gov/utilityrates.
- Are you a junior high or high school teacher looking for coding opportunities for your students? Are you a student who knows how to code or wants to learn? Register today for SPARK Game Jam, a coding competition for Arizona junior high and high school students, taking place September 12-13, 2018. Learn more and register at sparkappleague.com.
- Meetings this week include the Parks and Recreation Board Meeting on Tuesday, August 14th at 6:00 PM, the Redevelopment Commission Meeting on Wednesday, August 15th at 6:30 PM, and a Town Council Meeting on Thursday, August 16th at 6:30 PM.
Did you know that you can get your weekly Gilbert, Arizona news and events straight from your Amazon Echo device(s)? All you need to do is add the Gilbert News Flash Briefing Skill. Watch this video to learn how: