Gilbert News Brief: Week of August 6th
Hey Gilbert! Here are the top news and events you need to know for the week of August 6th:
- All Gilbert Public Schools are officially back in session. Please remember to keep your speed down, eyes up and drive safely in school zones.
- Did you know that Saturday is the National Day of Civic Hacking? Celebrate by exploring Gilbert’s Open Data Portal with Alex, our Data Librarian. Not only can you view Gilbert’s data but you can use it to build apps and programs. Start exploring at alex.gilbertaz.gov.
- Speaking of apps…are you a junior high or high school teacher looking for coding opportunities for your students? Are you a student who knows how to code or wants to learn? Register today for SPARK Game Jam, a coding competition for Arizona junior high and high school students, taking place in just a few weeks on September 12-13, 2018. Learn more and register at sparkappleague.com.
- Want to learn more about the proposed utility rate changes? Join us for an open house workshop this Tuesday, August 7th from 4 to 5:30 PM for non-residential customers and 6 to 7:30 PM for residential customers at the Power Ranch Barn. Can’t make this workshop? No problem! You’ll have another chance on Monday, August 20th. Learn more at gilbertaz.gov/utilityrates.
- Be sure to check out the Gilbert Water Tower this Wednesday and Thursday as it will be lit lime green to raise awareness for Muscular Dystrophy. Snap a photo and share it on social media using #LightUpGilbert.
- Meetings this week include the Arts Task Force Meeting on Tuesday, August 7th at 6:00 PM.
Did you know that you can get your weekly Gilbert, Arizona news and events straight from your Amazon Echo device(s)? All you need to do is add the Gilbert News Flash Briefing Skill. Watch this video to learn how: