Water is precious here in the desert and we can all do our part to save… We know that means us, too! Gilbert Water Conservation works hard to help our Gilbert facilities use water as efficiently as possible by providing the same services we offer to our Gilbert community, including water checkups, indoor plumbing and irrigation technology upgrades, and water budgeting and monitoring. Just like other Gilbert businesses, exceptionally performing facilities earn the esteemed Water Wise Gilbert label.
Last year, the following Gilbert facilities joined the ranks of Water Wise Gilbert:
McQueen Park Activity Center
Gilbert Community Center
McQueen Park Activity Center and Gilbert Community Center together support more than 18,000 customers per month. Ten Gilbert fire stations are in constant motion – staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, ready to respond to our community. Given the high profile of these facilities, water efficient upgrades result in big water savings.
McQueen Park Activity Center and Gilbert Community Center made indoor plumbing upgrades including:
- All 2.2 gallons per minute (gpm) faucet aerators were exchanged to 0.5 or 1 gpm faucet aerators. Thanks to this technology, more than 1 gallon is saved each minute the faucet runs!
- Urinals were converted from 1 gallon per flush to 0.5 gallons per flush, saving 50% per flush.
- Dual flush handles were installed on all recreation center toilets allowing for liquid waste to be flushed with less water.
In addition to making the same upgrades listed above, Gilbert fire stations have saved thousands of gallons by:
- Installing smart irrigation controllers that automatically adjust how the plants are watered based on real-time weather.
- Installing new, high-efficiency shower heads in all the firefighters’ lockers rooms dropped flow rates from 2.5 gpm to 1.5 gpm!
These improvements are projected to save nearly 200,000 gallons a year…that’s as much as 4 Gilbert Water Towers! Now that is Water Wise Gilbert!To learn more about the Water Wise Gilbert program and how you can participate, visit gilbertaz.gov/waterwise.