Gilbert Police Recruiting at University of Arizona Career Days
- Date: 03/20/2018 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM
- Location: University of Arizona, SUMC
1303 E University Blvd
Tucson, Arizona 85719
- Introduction: The Gilbert Police Department will be at the University of Arizona Career Days on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 from 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM to recruit for various job openings in spring of 2018.
Gilbert, Ariz. - The Gilbert Police Department will be at the University of Arizona Career Days on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 from 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM to recruit for various job openings in spring of 2018. Whether you have an interest in becoming an officer or part of our professional staff, our representatives will be there to answer your questions. The University of Arizona, Career Days is located in the Student Union Memorial Center (SUMC), Grand Ballroom (1303 E. University Blvd. Tucson, AZ 85719).
Sergeant, Public Information Office
Gilbert Police Department
Our next scheduled application opening for Police Recruits and Lateral Officers will be February 26, 2018 through March 29, 2018. To apply to be a Police Recruit please click here. To apply to be a Police Lateral please click here.
Check our other Job Opportunities link for a variety of other available positions within the police department.
Below you will find an outline of the testing process. Specific times and information related to the test will be determined as we approach the test dates. Please begin filling out the necessary forms and compiling the required paperwork sooner than later so you can be prepared.
Please follow our suite of social media platforms for the most up to date information. All imperative updates will be posted here as well.
We look forward to seeing you this Spring!
Spring 2018 Application Timeline:
Opening: February 26, 2018
Deadline: March 29, 2018
Recruit Applicants: You will receive an email with a link to self-schedule your written exam approximately one week after the job posting closes. Please schedule as soon as possible to secure your test time.
Lateral Applicants: If you meet the criteria to apply as a lateral officer, you are exempt from the written exam and simply need to show up at the PT test.
Written Exams (Recruit Applicants Only):
Once our application window closes, HR will email an invitation with a link to sign up for one of the written test sessions below. All written exams will take place at the Gilbert Police Department located at 75 East Civic Center Drive, Gilbert, AZ 85296.
April 21, 2018 at 10 AM
April 24, 2018 at 6 PM
April 26, 2018 at 6 AM
April 27, 2018 at 2 PM
Only show up at your scheduled test date and time. You will not be allowed to take the exam multiple times in one testing process. Written exam results will be posted on the homepage of the police website within 24 hours of your exam.
Physical Fitness Exam:
Spring 2018, Time: April 28, 2018 at 8 AM & 10 AM
50 E. Civic Center Dr. Gilbert, AZ 85296
Oral Board Interview:
Out-of-Area Applicants: April 28, 2018 from 2 PM to 5 PM
Local Applicants: Week of April 30, 2018 through May 3, 2018, from 8 AM to 5 PM
The eligibility list and background investigation will be initiated from the results.
Police Officer Recruitment Information
- Contact GPDRecruiting@GilbertAZ.Gov
- Call 480-503-6500 or 480-635-7400 and ask to speak to a member of the Hiring Unit.
- Automatic Disqualifiers
- Physical Agility Test
- Compensation & Benefits
- Our Philosophy
- Women in Policing
- Other Job Opportunities
- Carefully review the Automatic Disqualifiers section below to determine your eligibility.
- Complete the appropriate POLICE RECRUIT or LATERAL OFFICER application and submit by the deadline AND Complete the AZ POST Statement of Personal History and the Authorization for Release, which will be collected upon successful completion of the physical agility test. *Please note that the linked form requires two (2) notary signatures.
- After submitting your application, you will receive a confirmation email from email@example.com. Make sure you check your email spam folder. Do not apply more than one time.
- You will receive an email to self-schedule your written exam approximately one week after the job posting closes.
- Dress professionally, arrive early, and bring picture identification with you.
Applicants who meet any of the following will be automatically disqualified by the Town of Gilbert and/or Arizona POST:
Applicants must be 21 years of age by completion of the academy.
Conviction of a felony or any offense that would be a felony if committed in Arizona.
Previous revocation or denial of AZ POST certified status, or suspension of current AZ POST certified status.
Dishonorable discharge from the United States Armed Forces.
Illegal sale, production, cultivation, or transport of marijuana for sale.
Illegal possession or use of marijuana for any purpose within the past three years.
Illegal use of marijuana other than for experimentation (see definition below).
Illegal use of marijuana while employed or appointed as a peace officer.
Illegal sale, production, cultivation, or transport for sale any dangerous drugs or narcotics.
Illegal use of dangerous drugs or narcotics, other than marijuana, for any purpose more than five times in lifetime, no more than one time after the age of 21, and no use within the past seven years.
Illegal use of dangerous drugs or narcotics other than for experimentation (see definition below).
Illegal possession or use of marijuana other than for experimentation.
Pattern of illegal use of prescription medication.
Misdemeanor domestic violence conviction involving the use or attempted use of force, or the threatened use of a deadly weapon.
No more than one DUI conviction in a lifetime, and none within the past seven years.
No more than eight driving points, or two or more at fault accidents within the previous 36 months.
The use of an illegal drug is presumed to be not for experimentation if:
- The use of marijuana exceeds a total of 20 times, or exceeds 5 times since the age of 21 years.
- The use of dangerous drugs or narcotics, other than marijuana, exceeds a total of five times in a lifetime, no more than one time after the age of 21, and no use within the past seven years.
Vision and Hearing Requirements
- Visual acuity of:
a) 20/20 or better uncorrected; or
b) 20/20 or better, corrected by spectacles or hard contact lenses, if uncorrected acuity is 20/80 or better; or
c) 20/20 or better corrected by soft contact lenses, if the uncorrected acuity is 20/200 or better. The candidate must demonstrate satisfactory adaptation to the contacts.
- Vision: Capable of distinguishing basic color groups against a favorable background.
Hearing: Uncorrected hearing with no loss greater than 25 db in the 500, 1000, 2000, 3000 hertz frequencies as measured by an audiometer.
PLEASE NOTE: If you have any questions or concerns regarding the disqualifiers, please contact the GILBERT POLICE DEPARTMENT at 480-503-6500 and ask to speak to a Hiring Section Background Investigator.
Sit Ups: 36 (within 1 minute)
Push Ups: 20 (untimed)
1.5 Mile Run: 15:48 minutes
Here are some tips we recommend to help you succeed in taking the physical fitness test.
- Get a physician's exam prior to the test to identify any possible health issues. If you are more than 15 lb. overweight, we recommend that you talk to your doctor about your diet and consider trying to lose the extra weight. Explain your intentions to your doctor and ask for his/her honest opinion as to your general ability to do high stress exercises. Regardless of the answer, you will be better educated as to what your limitations are.
- Begin a fitness program as soon as possible. The program should include aerobic exercise, such as running or bicycling, as well as some light weight lifting to increase strength. If you're new to routine exercise, consult a fitness trainer for a routine that will help you achieve your goals. Before and after your workouts, spend extra time stretching out; flexibility is a key to doing well on these tests.
- The night prior to your test, eat a meal high in carbohydrates. Potatoes or pasta would be good examples. Avoid alcohol and caffeine, as they tend to dehydrate your body. Also, begin drinking water and over-hydrating your system. Many applicants suffer from dehydration because they forget this simple rule of life in the desert. Don't forget to bring water and fruit to the test for extra energy if you need it.
- Wear light fitness clothing. Supportive "sport type" undergarments are encouraged.
- Arrive at the test site early. This will give you extra time to warm up and stretch.
- You may also consider having a friend drive you to and from the test. Driving can be difficult and annoying when you're physically exhausted.
- Remember to bring your driver's license for proper identification.
- Finally, be friendly and encouraging to your co-applicants. Remember, good attitudes and teamwork go far in law enforcement.
Lieutenant: $102,883 to $119,100