Applicants who meet any of the following will be automatically disqualified by the Town of Gilbert and/or Arizona POST:
• Applicants must be 21 years of age by completion of the academy.
• Conviction of a felony or any offense that would be a felony if committed in Arizona.
• Previous revocation or denial of AZ POST certified status, or suspension of current AZ POST certified status.
• Dishonorable discharge from the United States Armed Forces
• Illegal sale, production, cultivation, or transport of marijuana for sale.
• Illegal use of marijuana for any purpose within the past three years.
• Illegal use of marijuana other than for experimentation (see definition below).
• Illegal use of marijuana while employed or appointed as a peace officer.
• Illegal sale, production, cultivation, or transport for sale any dangerous drugs or narcotics.
• Illegal use of dangerous drugs or narcotics, other than marijuana, for any purpose more than five times in lifetime, no more than one time after the age of 21, and no use within the past seven years.
• Illegal use of dangerous drugs or narcotics other than for experimentation (see definition below).
• Pattern of illegal use of prescription medication.
• Misdemeanor domestic violence conviction involving the use or attempted use of force, or the threatened use of a deadly weapon.
• No more than one DUI conviction in a lifetime, and none within the past seven years.
• No more than eight driving points, or two or more at fault accidents within the previous 36 months.
The use of an illegal drug is presumed to be not for experimentation if:
1. The use of marijuana exceeds a total of 20 times, or exceeds 5 times since the age of 21 years.
2. The use of dangerous drugs or narcotics, other than marijuana, exceeds a total of five times in a lifetime, no more than one time after the age of 21, and no use within the past seven years.
Vision and Hearing Requirements
1. Visual acuity of:
a) 20/20 or better uncorrected; or
b) 20/20 or better, corrected by spectacles or hard contact lenses, if uncorrected acuity is 20/80 or better; or
c) 20/20 or better corrected by soft contact lenses, if the uncorrected acuity is 20/200 or better. The candidate must demonstrate satisfactory adaptation to the contacts.
2. Vision capable of distinguishing basic color groups against a favorable background.
3. Uncorrected hearing with no loss greater than 25 db in the 500,1000, 2000, 3000 hertz frequencies as measured by an audiometer.
PLEASE NOTE: If you have any questions or concerns regarding the disqualifiers, please contact the POLICE DEPARTMENT at 480-503-6500 and ask to speak to a BACKGROUND INVESTIGATOR in the Office of Professional Standards.