Details on Household Hazardous Waste Items


The Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collection Facility is located at the South Area Service Center on the northwest corner of Greenfield and Queen Road. The address for the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility is 2224 E. Queen Creek Road. The entrance is a ½ block West of Greenfield off of Queen Creek.

Please refer all questions about Gilbert’s Household Hazardous Waste Collection Program to the Environmental Programs Section at (480) 503-6400.

Quick Links 

When bringing wastes to the Town of Gilbert Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility

  • Bring only acceptable materials. (see list below)
  • Do not mix different materials together.
  • Be certain that all product containers are original and labels are legible.
  • Tightly seal materials in their containers and transport them to the facility in the trunk or bed of your vehicle.
  • Bring picture I.D. or most recent refuse bill (single-family home) or rent receipt (multi-family unit). Please Note: You must be a resident of the Town of Gilbert to participate.

Materials Accepted, Not Accepted - For a safer method to transport the HHW waste, we recommend cardboard boxes or plastic totes.

*There is a 10gal limit on the amount of liquid wastes such as oil, gas, coolant etc. dropped off per daily visit. Limit of 10 on small camping propane bottles.

 Acceptable Materials Unacceptable Materials 
 Adhesives  Ammunition/Fireworks
 Automobile Tires (rimless, limit 5)*  Appliances
 Batteries/Light Bulbs  Commercial (Business) Waste 
 Computer Equipment*  Explosive Material 
 Cooking Oil  Home-Generated Medical Waste
 Household Cleaners  Radioactive Waste 
 Pesticides  Prescription Drugs
 Pool Chemicals*  Items in Plastic Trash Bags 
 Propane Tanks*  CRT (tube) T.V.'s, monitors and rear projection T.V.'s
 Solvents/Thinners  Speakers
 Motor Oil*  Vacuum cleaners

NOTE: While businesses cannot drop anything off at the HHW we suggest possibly finding a company to work with by doing a web search of 'Hazardous Waste Disposal Companies in Arizona.'

Ammunition and Fireworks

The Gilbert Police Department will accept and impound ammunition and small quantities of fireworks for destruction. We will not accept hazardous materials that present a danger to employees through flammability, detonation, toxicity, corrosive properties, or radioactivity. Prior to bringing materials to the Police Department, residents should call the Police Non-Emergency telephone number, 480-503-6500 to ensure that Personnel from the Police Department are aware that materials are being brought in, and what they are.

Automobile Tires

CRM of America, 11400 Pecos Road, Queen Creek (987-2498) will accept up to five tires annually from each Maricopa County resident. For more information, call Maricopa County at (602) 506-7299.

Tires may also be brought to the Household Hazardous Waste Collection facility. Please remove tires from rims and limit to 5 tires per household. Non passenger vehicle tires from vehicles such as tractors, tractor trailers, and heavy equipment are not accepted at the HHW Facility. Contact CRM (480) 987-2498 for more information.

Computers / Electronic Equipment

Old computers and other electronic devices such as televisions, cell phones, stereos, and virtually anything that can be plugged into a wall outlet may be taken to the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility to be recycled. WITH THE EXCEPTION OF CRT (TUBE) T.V.'S MONITORS AND REAR PROJECTION T.V.'S  All personal information is erased from the hard drive for security. Large appliances (refrigerators, stoves, etc.) should be scheduled for a pick up by calling 480-503-6400.

Recycling computer equipment can help a student learn valuable work skills. AZ STRUT takes used computers and refurbishes them for reuse by local schools and non-profit organizations. They also erase from the hard drive all personal information prior to putting computers back in service. E-mail STRUT or call (480) 222-4066 for information about donating your computer at a school program near you

Home-Generated Medical Waste

Home-generated medical waste should be disposed of in a manner that helps minimize health risks to sanitation and landfill workers. Objects such as needles, syringes, and other sharp medical objects should be placed in a medical sharps container (purchased from a health care provider or pharmacy). Other containers made out of heavy plastic (empty plastic laundry detergent containers are a good choice) or metal can be used if the following precautions are observed:

  • Ensure that the container is as puncture-proof as possible; 
  • Ensure that the container has a tight-fitting lid;
  • Write the words "Not Recyclable" on the container; 
  • Fill the container approximately ¾ full or less; and 
  • Do not use glass containers.

Once these precautions have been followed, the sharps container may be placed in your black garbage container for disposal.

If you prefer to avoid disposal in the trash, one alternative is to purchase a "sharps disposal by mail" system in which the container and prepaid mailing materials are provided. One such system can be accessed on the web at Waste MD or at 1-877-WASTE MD.

NOTE: These wastes are not accepted at the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility. For additional questions about the disposal of home-generated medical waste call (480) 503-6400.

Motor Oil

Used motor oil can be recycled free of charge at the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility. After draining the oil, be sure to pour it into a clean container (gallon milk jugs are ideal) that can be tightly closed to carry the oil to the HHW facility. For those with reusable containers, HHW staff will pour out the old oil into the collection tank and return the container to the customer to be reused. Note: There may be a short wait time for this service on busy days. Avoid using containers that were used for cleaning products, bleach, antifreeze, solvents, gasoline, or other chemicals that can contaminate the oil.


**There is a 10gal limit on the amount of paint dropped off per visit. **
An average of two gallons of household paint is sold for each person in the United States each year. There are two general categories of paint:

Latex paints - also referred to as vinyl, acrylic, or water-based. Waste latex paint is not considered to be hazardous.

Solvent-based paints - also referred to as alkyd, oil-based, polyurethane, or varnish paint. Waste solvent-based paint is characterized as hazardous.

Determining What Type of Paint You Have

Read the label on the container.

  • If the label says to use mineral spirits or turpentine to clean brushes and rollers, then the paint is typically solvent-based.
  • If brushes or rollers can be cleaned with soap water, then the paint is latex, or water-based. Another method is to determine the paint’s solubility in water.

Latex paint will readily mix with water, while solvent-based paint is insoluble in water (the paint and water will separate like vinegar and oil).

Purchase, Use, and Storage Tips for Paint

Try to buy only what you need. Measure the area to be painted and ask the paint salesperson how much you will need. Also, read the label directions for coverage information.

Buy latex whenever possible. Buying latex paint will eliminate the use of hazardous chemicals needed for cleanup.

Store properly to make the paint last. When properly stored, paint can last for years. To store, cover the opening with plastic wrap, make sure the lid fits securely so the paint doesn’t leak from the can, and store the paint upside down.

Use up leftover paint. Properly stored leftover paint may be used for touch-up jobs. Smaller quantities of similar colors of latex paint can be blended and mixed for use as a primer on larger jobs, or jobs where the quality of the final finish is not critical.

Leftover paint can be donated. Try to donate your leftover paint to community groups, schools, churches, and other organizations who may need it.

Disposal Tips for Paint - Paint should be disposed of only as a last resort. The disposal methods for paint will differ depending on whether the paint is latex or solvent-based.

Latex. Latex paint should be air-dried in its container with the lid removed, away from children and pets. When the paint is completely solidified, the can and its contents can be thrown into a black refuse container as regular garbage. Liquid paint SHOULD NOT be placed into Town of Gilbert refuse or recycling containers.

Solvent-based. Air drying liquid solvent-based paint is generally not recommended. If the paint has become completely solidified, you can dispose of it in a black refuse container. If there is a small amount of paint leftover in the can, you can dry it out by adding an absorbent material (cat litter works well). Once the paint is dry, the can be thrown out in the regular trash. Liquid solvent-based paint should not be discarded in a black container.

Plastic Trash Bags

Please do not put items in plastic trash bags. Instead, use cardboard boxes instead. Thank you.

Pool Chemicals

Pool chemicals should be taken to the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility. These chemicals, which contain chlorine, can combust spontaneously if contaminated by organic materials (body fluids, acid rain) or hydrocarbons (fuel or motor oil), creating an extremely hazardous fire. When carrying in your vehicle, make sure pool chemicals are separated from used oil, grease, organic materials and acids and are in secure, tightly closed containers.

Prescription Drugs

Do not flush prescription drugs down the toilet or drain unless the label or accompanying patient information specifically instructs you to do so.

  1. Take your prescription drugs out of their original containers.
  2. Mix drugs with an undesirable substance, such as cat litter or used coffee grounds.
  3. Put this mixture into a disposable container with a lid, such as an empty margarine tub, or into a sealable bag.
  4. Conceal or remove any personal information, including Rx number, on the empty containers by covering it with black permanent marker or duct tape, or by scratching it off.
  5. Place the sealed container with the mixture, and the empty drug containers, in the trash.

Propane Tanks

Please do not discard propane tanks in the trash or leave out for your bulk pickup. Some uses may include barbecue grill, travel trailer, space heater. These are pressurized tanks which can explode if compressed or exposed to sparks, causing damage to property and a safety hazard to people.

You have two options for disposing of your old 20-lb tank:

Preferred option: You may take the tank to one of the businesses listed on the table below for proper disposal or exchange for a new tank:

Propane Tank Disposal

 Company Location/Phone  Cost/Unit 
 Rental Corral  325 N. Gilbert Road
 Aero Propane  109 N. Ironwood Drive, Apache Junction
(Corner Ironwood Apache Trail)
 Arizona Propane  SW corner McKellips and Alma School, Scottsdale
 Vista Express LLC  774 S. Val Vista Drive  Exchange only
 7-Eleven  1157 N. Gilbert Road  Exchange only
 Lowe's  734 S. Gilbert Road  Exchange only
 Lowe's  1440 S. Higley Road  Exchange only

OR… Store the tank and take it to the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility. 

NOTE: The small size (1 pound and similar) tanks should be taken to the Household Hazardous Waste CollectionFacility for proper disposal. Please call 503-6400 for more information on the facility.

Swap Shop

While dropping off household hazardous wastes come visit our Swap Shop. We offer many household products such as cleaners, detergents, weed killer, bug spray, and a variety of items dropped off at the HHW Facility that are still useable and often times brand new and never opened. We also have 5 gallon buckets of latex paint that are available for Town residents. The paint comes in light brown (tan), and gray. Quantities are limited to 25 gallons per resident during time when there is a high demand for the recycled paint. Currently, there is a waiting list for brown and tan colored paint. Swap Shop items can vary and are limited to a first come first served basis.