Voter Registration, Early Ballots, and Permanent Early Voting List
The Maricopa County Recorder is responsible for voter registration records. To be qualified to register to vote and vote in Gilbert elections, you must be:
- A citizen of the United States.
- Will be eighteen years of age or more on or before the date of the regular general election next following his registration.
- Will have been a resident of the Town twenty-nine days next preceding the election.
- Is able to write his name or make his mark, unless prevented from so doing by physical disability.
- Has not been convicted of treason or a felony, unless restored to civil rights.
- Has not been adjudicated an incapacitated person
- Register to vote, verify your registration, or update your current registration
- Request an early ballot for an election
- Request to be placed on the Permanent Early Voting List
Beginning in 2012, Gilbert's regularly scheduled elections will be held in the fall of even numbered years (August and November).
- Primary Election is held on the tenth Tuesday before the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November
- General Election is held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November.
Elections are conducted in accordance with the Arizona Revised Statutes, Titles 16 and 19 and the Code of Gilbert, Chapter 26.
The Mayor and Council serve at-large, representing all citizens. The Mayor and Council serve four year terms; there are no term limits and members can be elected to consecutive terms of office. Gilbert municipal elections are non-partisan.
The Code of Gilbert, Chapter 26 Elections, Section 26-1. Qualifications of candidates, states:
All candidates for elected office in the town shall be qualified electors of the town. Candidates shall have resided in the town for at least one year preceding the election in which he is running, except that a person living in an area that has been annexed into the town during the year preceding the election shall be qualified if he has resided in that annexed area at least one year prior to the election.
Election results for prior elections are currently not available on the website and may be obtained from the Clerk's Office. These documents can be requested by email or by submitting a public records request.
Political Committees & Independent Expenditures
Political Committees must file a Statement of Organization and file Campaign Finance Reports with the Clerk in accordance with the Arizona Revised Statutes, Title 16, Chapter 6, Campaign Contributions. Campaign Finance Reports are due by the close of business p.m. on the filing date.Campaign Finance forms are available on this website; no on-line program is available for filing Campaign Finance Reports. For assistance in completing reports, refer the Campaign Finance Report Handbook of Instructions.
Campaign Finance Reports filed by Political Committees are available on-line.
A.S.R.S §16-914.02 allows for reporting of independent expenditures of corporations, limited liability companies and labor organizations.
Political signs may be subject to disclosure requirements found in the Arizona Revised Statutes, Title 16.
Gilbert's sign regulations are contained within the Land Development Code, Section 4.402I: Political Signs. Political Signs do not require a sign permit. There may be additional regulations on signs in the Land Development Code. Questions on signage regulations contained in the Land Development Code should be directed to Code Compliance at 503-6879.
Inquiries or complaints related to sign regulations found in the Land Development Code should be forwarded to Code Compliance at 503-6879.
Inquiries or complaints related to disclosure requirements on signs contained in Title 16 should be directed to the Town Clerk at 503-6871.
- No Activity Statement
- Period Campaign Finance Report Cover Sheet
- Period Campaign Finance Report Detail
- League of Cities and Towns' Campaign Finance Handbook
- Statement of Organization
- 500 Dollar Threshold
- Annual No Activity Report
- Termination Statement
- Independent Expenditure Committee Registration Form
- Independent Expenditure Committee Notification Form